December is upon us again. A season of spending! Here are 10 wee tips to help stretch the pounds for any financially challenged students out there:
1. Avoid high mobile phone bills by checking your tariff and making sure you are getting the most for your money and are paying for a plan that suits you.
2. Check all your subscriptions and see if they offer a student discount!
3. Use the council tax reduction provided by the university.
4. Amazon are offering a student membership which is handy for discounts on gifts for friends and family (and also books for university). They offer unlimited next day delivery. This also includes amazon music prime.
5. If you’re living away from home for the first time, compare energy providers to ensure you’re not paying too much for your energy. There are different rates available.
6. Have a look through old items you no longer use. Sites like Gumtree and eBay are great for selling second hand items.
7. Plan ahead for meal times and buy things to cook. It’s boring but this will save on takeaways. Your health will benefit as well!
8. Keep an eye on your overdraft; nobody likes bank charges! Also, be aware that banks offer fee free overdraft student accounts.
9. Look out for sales when shopping, this time of year, there will be bargains waiting to be found.
10. Cheap drinks! There will be a vast array of festive goings on in Glasgow this winter, look out for student nights in particular. It is useful to only take cash with you on nights out. There will be no shocks looking at your bank balance the next day!
By Claire McDonald